Believers must learn how to spot a forgery! The enemy bombards us with lies dressed up as truth and wisdom. He masquerades as good advice or even good preaching. When the truth and lies get all mixed together, we have to become masters at spotting the forgeries.
How to Spot a Forgery
Carlie’s sister used to work in a bank. She learned there were dozens of new counterfeit bills circulating all the time, and there was no way for people to keep up with them. They couldn’t possibly track down and memorize every counterfeit bill out there. The only way to be ready to spot fake money was to study the real thing.
The U.S. government issues a “Know Your Money” guide to businesses so they won’t be tricked into accepting counterfeit money. This document doesn’t show or say a thing about common fake bills. It only points out the intricate details of the genuine item.
Before high-end art buyers pay millions for a piece of art, they have an authenticator examine it to see if it’s genuine. These art scientists use all kinds of technology to spot a forgery, but none of their techniques involve knowing the forger. They have to know the true artist.
Romans 1:25 says the world “exchanged the truth of God for a lie…” They accepted a counterfeit, a fake, a forgery. If you want to spot a spiritual forgery, you don’t need to study the enemy’s lies. You need to know the Truth. It’s the Truth you know that will set you free (John 8:32).
Testing for Forgeries
Let’s see this Truth-testing in action.
Take the cliché, “God helps those who help themselves.” Is this the Truth or a fake? Let’s give this some thought based on the Word of God:
- The woman with the issue of blood tried for twelve years to be cured by natural means and only lost her money. She sure couldn’t help herself, yet Jesus healed her with one touch (Mark 5:25-34).
- That one leper said “Jesus, if you’re willing, you can heal me.” He wasn’t doing anything to help himself, and Jesus healed him (Matthew 8:1-3).
- The 5,000 didn’t bring their own food when they heard Jesus preach. He didn’t tell them to help themselves. He miraculously fed them (Matthew 14:13-21).
- Christ died when we were “still without strength.” We can’t help ourselves to salvation (Romans 5:6).
This is a lie! God helps those who can’t help themselves.
Forgery: Healing Ended with the Apostles
We’ve heard people say that healing ended with the Apostles. Is that right? Let’s hold it up to the Truth and see.
- Healing is part of the Great Commission and that’s meant for us today. (Mark 16:14-18)
- Healing is all over the Old Testament, it’s part of Jesus’ life, and it happened more after His ascension.
- Jesus is the image of the Father and only does what the Father says, and He healed all the time (Colossians 1:15 and John 5:19).
- God is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).
This is a forgery! Healing is for you today.
Forgery: You Are Not Righteous
The first time you hear the idea you’re just as righteous as Jesus, it can sound pretty crazy. Let’s compare that claim to the Truth of God’s Word.
- Romans 5 says that by Jesus’ perfect act of obedience at the cross “many will be made righteous” (Romans 5:12-19).
- Jesus became sin even though He never sinned so that I could be made righteous (2 Corinthians 5:21).
- Jesus reconciled me and made me holy and blameless (Colossians 1:21-22).
- The righteousness of God was revealed in Jesus and is to all who believe (Romans 3:20-22).
This is the Truth! You have been made righteous. This is the real, authentic thing.
Forgery: You Are Sick
You get the worst news from your doctor. He says the illness isn’t going away. You’re going to be sick for the rest of your life. Do you believe it? Does it align with the Truth?
- As Jesus is, perfect and whole in Heaven, so am I in this world (1 John 4:17).
- By His stripes I was healed (1 Peter 2:24).
- Sickness is an a terrible curse, and Jesus took all my curses at the cross (Galatians 3:13).
- The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is in me, strengthening and giving life to my physical body (Romans 8:11).
This is a fake! The Truth is, you are well, healed, and whole. Say, “I’m going to keep confessing the Truth until this lie has no place in my mind, heart, or body.”
Forgery: You’re a Loser
Nothing ever seems to work out for you. You feel like a waste of space, a total loser. Test that thought against the Truth.
- I am the head and not the tail, above only and not beneath (Deut. 28:13).
- I am part of a royal priesthood and a chosen generation (1 Peter 2:9).
- All things work together for my good. I’m predestined by God for success (Romans 8:28-30).
- I’m the apple of God’s eye (Psalm 17:8).
- I am a child of the King and an heir with Christ (Ephesians 1:5 and Romans 8:17).
This is a lie from the enemy! Speak the Word over yourself: “I am not a loser. I am loved, cherished, and blessed. I’m going to declare this by faith until I get a picture of my awesomeness in Christ on the inside of me.”
The Truth You Know
Do not settle for the counterfeit gospel and the enemy’s lies. Test what you think and hear against the Truth. You don’t need to focus on the forgeries the world puts in front of you. Focus on the Truth, get to know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.
It is vitally important to become mindful of the source of your thoughts: the world or the Word. So, it’s time for some Brain Training! Discover what the Bible teaches about the mind, and how to be transformed by renewing yours. Learn how to keep your life from conforming to the pattern of the world around you and to start seeing things from God’s perspective.